Mount Cikurai – Day 2, Going Down and Going Home


Today is the last day of end of school year holiday, I finally return to my dorm and able to write this last post of my hiking to Mount Cikurai.

We got down from the mountain on June 30th. All this time, I always said that descending is easier than climbing…it’s a different case to Mount Cikurai. Descending was more tiresome and more painful than climbing.

Before I start my last post, do check the previous posts: Mount Cikurai – Day 1 where I wrote about how to get to the top of the mountain and Mount Cikurai – Day 2, on the Top of Mount Cikurai where I mostly shared pictures of sunrise on the top of Mount Cikurai.

There are so many things to write about getting down from Mount Cikurai till we reached home, that’s why I decided to have the third post.

Once we felt enough with the beauty on the top of the mountain, we started going down back to our camping ground. As I have said in my first post, the tents were not in an open ground. I took my time to take some pictures of our tents, they were all cramped between trees.

The next thing to do was preparing to leave the camping ground. Some people prepared breakfast for all 38 hikers in our group while those who were not helping with breakfast began packing their carrier and got their things ready. Everyone was using sunlight to dry some of their stuff. My shoes were all wet but I needed to use it again. I tried drying it up but there wasn’t enough heat from the sun. Everyone with wet shoes had to wrapped their feet in plastic bags before using the shoes so that the feet will stay dry.

When the food was ready, we realized that it was going to be difficult to have 38 people taking turn to take the meal, it would take time. We improvised a little, we gathered all the food on a clean plastic bag and let everyone ate from the same place. In Indonesia, we sometimes do something like this, it makes people closer to each other. Since there wasn’t enough space for all 38 people to cramped down and eat the food, those who had plates or tools to eat took some food and move to the back and let the other ate.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It was so fun to eat like this. I always enjoy such moment. It really showed togetherness and warmth. The food was incredibly mixed up. I have never seen anyone eating fried noodle with french fries till that day ๐Ÿ˜‰

We waited for the crew to finish taking down and packing the tents. If I am not mistaken, there were seven tents in total. We chatted around while waiting. Trying to get to know more people, talking about our next trip plan. I got great info for my next trip.


Our little happy group gathered again and we descended together. AT FIRST, we enjoyed walking down as it didn’t feel as hard as going up. We arrived at Post 6 really fast and still ion high spirit. Our little group of eight people had a new member and became nine. One of the slowest person in our hiking group finally ended up with us. The boys were busy helping her because she was having trouble climbing down. We, the girls, kept our pace till Linda told us that her stomach was sick. We forced her to let her carrier be carried by other. Izah carried Linda’s carrier bag and Yono/Erik carried Izah’s bag. We also tried to find hot water from another hiker. We all assumed that she got trapped wind. We slowly became the last group from our group of 38 hikers.

In my day 1 post, I said that the trek was often in vertical, we could climb up by lifting our body…but when we descended, I realized that the trek we had taken the previous day was crazy! There was so much vertical trek that we (not just me) often said “Did we really went through this trek?” It was more like rock climbing…well ROOT climbing. There were moments when we really had to hold on to roots while our feet tried to find ways without seeing it. Trees became our best friends as we kept on hugging one tree after another.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I didn’t have time to take a lot of pictures because I was more concern on which roots or area I should step on so that I didn’t slip down. Everyone in our little happy group had at least once fell down as we stepped on the slippery area. At first, we didn’t have so much rest but the more we going down the more rest we needed because our legs had begun to shake. Every jump down the trek made the legs and the feet hurt more.

At one point, I decided to take off my shoes and changed into mountain sandals because my toes were all hurt. Every time I walked down the root stair, my toes pressed on the shoes. The pain was finally unbearable. It was a relieve to have it changed to sandals. The problem was my sandals didn’t have good sole grip, it was damn slippery. I put more pressure to kept me from slipping down. I needed more time than before.

Just before the tea garden, there was a long slope down made of slippery soil stairs. To avoid slipping down, we held each others hand. The one on the back, of course, had the most work trying to balance all of us. It was a very funny view, I wish someone had taken pictures of us holding hand while stepping down the mountain.

I think we started descending somewhere around 10 am and we finally reached the transmitter post at 3.30 pm. We had a little snack and then to the jeep to the bus station.

waiting for the bus home, bored
waiting for the bus home, bored

Waiting for the bus was the most boring part of this trip. The people in charge of this trip didn’t realize that most of the bus to Jakarta stopped operating at 7 pm. There was only 1 bus ready to take people to Jakarta and there were many people there. We stayed there till around 11 pm. It was such a boring time. They finally hired one bus so that we could go home. We reached Jakarta around 4 am. It was crazy because most of the hikers were supposed to go to work. My roommate and I were lucky because we didn’t have to work the next morning.

My roommate was already at her limit, she couldn’t even see a stair without winching. She felt like an old grandma. She couldn’t lift her carrier bag anymore and had to ask someone to bring it to the third floor (our room is on the third floor). She said she didn’t want to hike an extreme mountain again, she still wants to try the easy ones ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am still keeping in touch with everyone in the happy group and the rest of the hikers. It was another unforgettable hiking. Three days after the trip, even though the pain in my muscle hadn’t fully recovered, I had already missed the mountain. If the rest of my holiday is not Ramadan where I have to do fasting, I would have gone to another mountain ๐Ÿ™‚

Photo by Frenky @ The Dreamer Blog

I am now waiting for August to come because the next trip is already waiting for me, this time it’s going to be cultural trip but still with stunning view. I am going to Dieng Culture Festival

Dieng Culture Festival
Dieng Plateau
Dieng Plateau, images from google


    1. I didn’t have chances before but now I am living my life to the fullest. I finally have time and money to do my old hobby.
      Thank you for the compliment Bik ๐Ÿ™‚

  1. Fun stuff here Nov, sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! Wow, root climbing, now that’s pretty unusual ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh I’ve never heard of Dieng Culture Festival before, looking forward to your coverage, Nov!

    1. Yeah…it was fun….can’t wait to go to a mountain again ๐Ÿ™‚

      They have a very interesting ritual, there are children born with ‘gimbal’ hair and every year they held a ritual to cut their hair

  2. It sounds like another great experience for you, though a lot more strenuous than the others. It’s always nice to hear about your trips, and Dieng Plateau looks beautiful.

    1. It was ๐Ÿ™‚
      Thank you Peter. I have heard so much of how beautiful Dieng is, I am looking forward to see it with my own eyes

  3. Hahahaha!! It sounds like you had quite the workout on your return trip. I have never been hiking with so many people as that at one time, usually I went with only 4 or 5 close friends. Things are much less hectic with smaller groups. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    I hope you roommate recovers and will want to go with you again and share the fun. Such a rough trip can scare away a new hiker from wanting to continue the hobby.

    1. It’s like a travel agent. They were also quite surprise that that many people joined in even though the trek was difficult.

      Many people now join this kind of agent because they don’t want to be bothered with hiring cars, surveying and dealing with registrations and other administration. This is the third time I have joined this kind of organized hiking. My trip to Dieng is also organized by a travel….I don’t have time deal with administration ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Yeah…she said she still wants to go mountain hiking but not that kind of mountain ๐Ÿ˜‰

      I am already planning to go hiking again this September ๐Ÿ˜‰

  4. You’ve been doing a lot of traveling lately. I wouldn’t try another mountain while fasting, either.

    What an interesting way of eating. I’m not sure I’d be entirely comfortable sharing a plastic-bag-plate with a lot of other people.

    1. It’s quite common in some parts of Asia. In Indonesia, we usually used banana leaves but there’s no banana leaves there, so we used plastic bag ๐Ÿ˜‰

  5. Hi Miss Novi, it’s me Frenky! hahaha
    It is a nice experience to do hike cikuray mountain with you although it is only for 2 days ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe we can do trip together again someday.
    Btw what mountain do you want to hike again in September? maybe i’m interest to join ๐Ÿ™‚
    In the end, see you in Dieng Culture Festival, don’t hesitate to call me if you see my face ๐Ÿ˜‰

    1. Hi Frenky ๐Ÿ™‚
      It was a nice experience for me too…too bad we only had chance to chat at the end of our journey. They were a lot of people in our group ๐Ÿ˜‰

      I hope we can spot each other in Dieng ๐Ÿ™‚

      I am planning to hike Mount Sindoro but considering Sindoro is near Dieng, I am going to see how fast can we reach Jakarta from Dieng. Can I still go to work or not.

Say something so I know you have read my post, THANK YOU for reading :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s