I found a new interesting challenge from Judith’s blog. Why interesting? Because it is so my kind of read. The Challenge is held by Carl V of Stainless Steel Droopings. It is called R.I.P. Challenge V. which means R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge. The challenge has been held 4 times, this is the 5th time. I never heard of the challenge before, therefore this is my first time.
The challenge is very simple, all we have to do is read books in these genre:
- Dark Fantasy
It runs from September 1st through October 31st. a very short 2 months. Most challenge I join in last for 1 year. The short time gives extra excitement for me.
This challenge is so much alike with Suspense and Thriller Reading Challenge 2010 that I have joined since January. I almost finish the challenge 🙂 . Because of the similarity, books I’m going to read for this challenge will be used for SaTC as well.
As I already written in my Mountain of Books post, I have lots of books in this genre. I will not only include novels for this challenge because there’s no rule saying ‘Novel only’. I will also read and review some Manga (Japanese Comic) and watch some movie, because watching movies in this genre can also be included.
Here are the categories for the challenge:
- Peril the first
Read 4 books, any length that you feel fits my very broad definition of scary. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming of Edgar Allan Poe … or anyone in between
- Peril the second
Read two books of any length that you believe fit within the challenge
- Peril the third
We all want you to participate. This peril involves reading one book that fits within the R.I.P. definition
My selection of books will be:
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Just finished the book a day before finding this challenge
- Cujo by Stephen King. Although I was planning to continue reading Different Seasons after reading The Road, but Different Seasons is not about horror, therefore I will continue it after finishing this challenge.
- Tears of Dragon by Dean Koontz
- The Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul
- Antibodies from The X Files novel
- White Serpent by Lensey Namioka
- The Shadow Family by Miyabe Miyuki
- Onryo no Densetsu; Halloween Densetsu; Jinro no Densetsu; Manga by Watari Chie
- Blaze by Richard Bachman (a.k.a Stephen King)
- Night Shift by Stephen King
I’m not a fast reader, even though I write that book list…I will not be able to read them all. I write that many books because I’m not sure which one to read first and what followed next, I’ll just let it flow. For 2 months, I think I can join Peril the First, 4 books in 2 months doesn’t seem that much, right?